The English breakfast is one of the nation’s best-loved meals. Sometimes referred to as’ the fry up’, the English breakfast remains so popular not just because it tastes so good, but because it has been enjoyed for centuries by people from all walks of life. It’s not just England where this meal is enjoyed, you can even travel abroad and find this British dish standing proud on the menu.
We know life can get pretty hectic, for many many working people breakfast consists of an instant coffee and a slice of toast on the go. So come the weekend, you’re ready for a leisurely breakfast you can enjoy. That’s why, here at Neo Direct, we are on hand to provide you with a guide to creating the ultimate full English breakfast.
How to make a full English breakfast
When it comes to creating your full English breakfast, we understand it is a personal thing, so feel to swap in and out what you like best.
2-3 rashers of bacon
2 flat mushrooms
1-2 ripe tomatoes
1 large egg
1 slice of bread
1 thick slice of black pudding
Light olive oil
- Heat a flat grill plate or pan over a low heat and brush sparingly with light olive oil.
- Add sausages to the hot grill/pan and allow to cook slowly for around 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden. Increase the heat to medium after 10 minutes to cook the other ingredients. If you have a small kitchen or you’re struggling for space, completely cook the sausages and keep them on a hot plate in the oven until you have cooked the rest of your ingredients.
- Place the bacon straight onto the grill plate/pan and fry for 2-4 minutes, again turning until you find your desired crispness. Bacon can also be kept on a hot plate in the oven.
- Take your mushrooms and trim the stalk level to the mushroom top. Drizzle with a little light olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place stalk side up on the grill plate/pan and cook for 1-2 minutes before turning and cooking for a further 3-4 minutes. Try and keep the mushrooms still while cooking, as too much movement can release the natural juices and make them soggy.
- Take your tomatoes. If you’ve opted for plum tomatoes cut across the centre and remove the green eye with a sharp knife. If you’ve opted for cherry tomatoes it’s best to keep these whole. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. Place cut side down and cook without moving for around 2 minutes. Turn the tomato, season again, and cook for a further 2 minutes. You should see the tomatoes holding their shape.
- Cut off a slice of black pudding and remove the skin. Cook for 2 minutes each side until slightly crispy.
- Take a separate frying pan for your bread (sometimes it is better to use bread that is a few days old as it retains its shape better). Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and cover the base of the pan with oil. Add the bread flat to the pan and heat for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy. If you’re looking for a richer flavour add a knob of butter or a little egg after you turn the slice.
- When it comes to your egg, you can choose between fried egg, scrambled egg, boiled egg or poached egg depending on your personal preference…
Break the egg straight into the pan and leave for 30 seconds. Add a knob of butter and lightly splash/baste the egg with the butter when melted. Cook to your prefered stage and gently remove with a fish slice onto a plate.
- Lightly whisk 2 large eggs, 6 tbsp single cream or full cream milk and a pinch of salt until all the mixture blends together.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan for a minute, add a knob of butter and let it melt. Be careful not to let the butter go brown or it will discolour the eggs!
- Pour the mixture into the pan and let it settle without stirring for 20 seconds. Stir with a wooden spoon, folding and lifting over from the bottom of the pan.
- Let it settle for another 10 seconds then lift and stir again.
- Repeat this procedure until the eggs are soft, set and slightly runny in places. Remove from the heat.
- Give a final stir and serve.
Poached eggs are hard to master. That’s why here at Neo Direct, we have introduced an innovative 3 in 1 egg boiler which is a must-have for any busy kitchen.
To poach your eggs simply add the required amount of water to the heating plate, crack the eggs into the tray/poacher attachment then close the lid. A buzzer will sound when the eggs are ready to be served. Eggs cooked to perfection every time.
This 3 in 1 egg boiler can also produce hard-boiled, soft boiled and omelettes, so is a quick and easy solution for a number of mealtimes. The device can cook 7 eggs at the same time so it is perfect for busy families.
9. Once all the ingredients have been cooked, serve on warm plates and enjoy.
Traditionally, the perfect way to finish off a full English breakfast is with a cup of tea, coffee or freshly squeezed orange juice. Here at Neo Direct, you’ll find an array of LED illuminated electric glass kettles to help you create the perfect hot beverage.
How many calories are in a full English breakfast?
A full English breakfast with all the accompaniments equates to about 807 calories. Of course, this can vary depending on the size and items on the plate. You can make small adjustments to your breakfast to make it a little healthier…
- Trim fat off your bacon and replace the frying pan for the grill.
- Scramble egg whites and lose the yolk. The yolk is high in cholesterol and fat.
- Try turkey sausages in opposition to fatty pork sausages.
- Swap white bread for wholemeal or rye bread and toast rather than fry.
- Use low-fat oils or sprays in your pan.
Here at Neo Direct, we have an array of kitchen appliances to transform the way you use your kitchen. Whether you’re part of a busy family or living alone, you’ll find appliances to improve the overall usability of your kitchen.
You’ll find electric stand mixers which can assist you in creating some of your favourite recipes – you can easily whip egg whites, cream and mashed potato, as well as easily shredding chicken breasts and preparing pizza or bread dough.
Our multi-purpose pressure cookers are perfect if you’re always on the go as they cook food quickly, perfect for meat and stews. Additionally, our blenders are great for creating your own soups and smoothies. Be sure to check out our full range of kitchen appliances here at Neo Direct to assist you in creating some tasty recipes for you and your family to enjoy!